Tuesday, March 27, 2007


I want to talk a bit about the Pondo beading technique shown in the April/May edition of Beadwork Magazine. Page 74. I started the silver piece shown above with the suggested size 11 and size 15 seed beads. Those of you who do seed bead work know how tiny those beads are! After about an hour or work and only an inch or so long--I decided to switch to size 8's and 11's. That's the darker blue/silver piece. This works up a bit faster, but not much! I found the instructions hard to understand in the magazine, the pictures of the thread path are very confusing to say the least. My point being---if you want to make a lacy looking bracelet like this, I would suggest doing it with a netting technique. Basics for that stitch can be found on page 118 of the same magazine. It works up much faster--I could have gotten an entire netted bracelet finished in the time it took to make the two sample pieces above!

6 people have something to say:

Mary said...

Jodie,
Thank you for being the guinea pig. No really, I appreciate that you have tried the stitch and are willing to share your experiences with us. : )

Jodie said...

Thanks, Mary! I'll try almost anything once!

TanyaMcGuire said...

Well that tells me to never ever try this stich. If it took you that long I would have been all month getting that far.

Louise HIll said...

I am currently working on a design using the Pondo stitch. I selected this stitch because of it's unique look. I absolutely love the way it looks and all the many options of how it can be used. To me the amount of time I have put into the pondo is much less than other stitches. I believe this stitch is much faster than what I normally work with. Most of my designs take me months before completing them. I suppose it is all what you want for the end results. I just wouldn't give on it up so easily.

SuzyQ said...

If you are challenged by this technique, check out the free tutorial online. Sorry the magazine's rendition was so confusing, we were unable to change it.
http://beadweaver.blogspot.com/2013/09/pondo-stitch.html

SuzyQ said...

http://beadweaver.blogspot.com/2013/09/pondo-stitch.html

 
*/